1. Downton Abbey-
I’ve been hearing about this show for months. Between kids, blogging, keeping my family fed, and maintaining (at least trying to maintain) mountains of laundry, I don’t have much time for personal stuff, like a TV show or good pedicure. I’m in desperate need of the second- chickens and gardening, enough said.
A couple weeks ago, on a rare day of no children and a clean house, I decided to pick up that little black box we call, “The Remote”. Click, click, click. It was that moment that changed the course of my life and use of time over the next two weeks. I discovered Downton Abbey. Oh my! If you’ve watched this show you’re probably nodding your head, just knowing I haven’t been able to do anything productive since discovering Lady Mary and Matthew, and of course Lady Sybil and her Irish love, Mr. Branson. And what’s up with Edith? I’m really beginning to like her.
I’ve made it through three seasons and spent way too much time on the couch. With season four currently airing, I’m hanging, desperately waiting for what happens next. What will Lady Mary and that new baby do? What about that maid, now in love with Branson? I really don’t like her. I need to know, now! If you want to fill me in, I’d love to hear the details! I’ll send you cookies or maybe a slice of my second new love, pizza.
2. Kale Salad Pizza
It’s amazing I’ve found much time to do anything other than watch Downton Abbey, but I have. I’m a woman, multitasking is my business. What does one enjoy with a good show? Homemade Pizza.
Around the same time Downton Abbey was discovered, I came across a recipe for kale salad. Let’s be real– the idea of kale salad didn’t sound super promising. Other than kale chips, I don’t enjoy the leafy green crunch of kale. Probably a bit taboo for a real food blogger to share, but it’s true. Just being real.
With kale sitting in my fridge, quickly turning yellow, I made the recipe. Mind blown. The salad was so good, I’ve made it over and over, actually craving the taste of the kale, garlic, and lemon so perfectly mixed together.
And when you have a new love for zesty kale salad and Downton Abbey (which means enjoying lots of homemade pizza), the only natural result is a kale salad pizza. It’s also come to my attention that this week is pizza week, which means I must (a wonderfully tasty obligation), share a pizza recipe.
Today, I bring you this kale salad pizza. Made with homemade pizza dough, homemade pizza sauce, topped with ooey-gooey mozzarella, and finally loaded with mounds of garlicky-kale salad. It’s a healthy pizza party in your mouth! Even the biggest kale skeptic will be tempted to take a bite out of this delicious and nourishing pie. Who doesn’t love a good pizza and old British drama?
Homemade Kale Salad Pizza
- 1 kale head, washed, stems removed, and chopped
- 1/4 cup lemon juice approximately 1 lemon juiced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 3 TB extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 TB fresh basil finely chopped
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese plus more for topping
- Preheat the oven to 475F. Place the baking stone(s) in the oven during the preheating phase.
- Pull the baking stone(s) from the oven (they will be hot!), carefully lay the dough across the stone(s). Top with pizza sauce and shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Bake the pizzas for 15-20 minutes until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- While the pizza bakes, place the chopped kale in a large bowl.
- Mix together the dressing: lemon juice, olive oil, salt, and garlic, in a small bowl.
- Pour the dressing over the kale. Massage the kale with your hands for a couple of minutes until the kale is reduced in size by half. Add the fresh basil and parmesean cheese, mix together.
- Remove the pizza from the oven. Allow the pizza to cool for a couple of minutes, top the pizza with the kale salad (and extra parmesean) and enjoy.