Who doesn’t love a big bowl of cheesy goodness?
The very essence of comfort food.
Lately, I have been needing a big bowl of comfort. Sometimes life just screams “I need a big bowl of ooey-gooey cheese noodles. Feed me!” And who am I to say “no“?
This week, life has been screaming for that gooey cheese.
Recently a fellow blogger, Kimberly, at Turning it Home, knowing I had a surplus of collard greens on hand shared her recipe for Macaroni and Cheese with Mushrooms and Collard Greens. First off, she had me at cheese. The idea of adding a vegetable and greens made my heart skip a beat. A bowl of comfort that can satisfy the soul and the body? Yes, please!
Days went by before I actually took the time to make myself a big bowl of this special mac and cheese. One problem, on recipe night all my collard greens went missing. I think I have a collard thief or maybe just mommy-brain. The latter is probably more accurate.
I couldn’t let the collard green set-back stop me, so I had to improvise. Improvising turned into one delicious dish of veggie mac and cheese. Approved by the entire family as a winner. Packed with so much cheesy goodness and bursting with flavor. Even Dustin who isn’t a big mac and cheese fan (what?) gave it two big thumbs up. I even caught him savoring seconds. Shhh, our little secret.
Swiss chard, mushrooms, pastured butter, grass-fed cheese, creamy raw milk, and pasta make this a comforting, ultra-creamy mac and cheese. One fit for the whole family. Comfort food at it’s healthiest and finest. Bring on the comfort.
- 2 TB + 4 TB pastured butter
- 1lb. swiss chard, chopped (one bunch)
- 1 cup mushrooms, chopped (I used cremini)
- 2½ cups whole milk (I used raw)
- ¼ cup flour (sprouted, whole wheat, or unbleached white)
- 1 tsp good-quality salt + pinch (where to buy)
- 1 tsp ground mustard (where to buy)
- 2½ cup sharp white cheddar
- ¾ cup grated parmesan
- 1 pound whole wheat macaroni pasta (where to buy)
- Cook your noodles according to the package. Drain, rinse, and set aside.
- Chop your mushrooms. Heat 2 TB butter in a large stockpot (I use this one). Add in the mushrooms and a pinch of salt and cook until tender.
- Add in the chopped greens and cook a couple minutes until wilted.
- Once the greens are wilted, remove the mushrooms and greens. Set aside.
- In the same pot, now nicely seasoned, add in 4 TB butter. Melt the butter.
- Add in ¼ cup flour. Whisk into the butter.
- Once combined, add in 2½ cups whole milk, 1 tsp salt, and 1 tsp ground mustard. Whisk all ingredients together and cook until bubbly.
- Once bubbly, turn off the burner and start adding the cheese! Slowly whisk in the cheese until melted.
- Add your greens, mushrooms, and cooked pasta to the pot and stir until combined.
- Pour into a 13×9 baking dish and bake at 375ºF for 20-25 minutes until bubbly.
PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog.