My name is Kristin and I’m a recovering beet-hater.
Growing up, beets were a big no-no. They weren’t eaten, discussed, thought about, end of story.
They were the “You know Who” of food.
One didn’t speak their name.
For 28 years I did everything in my power to avoid the red, earthy vegetable at all costs.
I’m not really sure where the sudden urge to try a beet came from. Maybe watching one too many Office episodes? Thank you Dwight Schrute for providing me with a respect and intrigue for beets. Maybe a new found desire to try new foods? Maybe the fact I grew an entire plot of beets in my backyard garden? What was I thinking?
I finally gave in and tasted my first beet.
Where have these tasty roots been hiding?
I instantly fell in love and have been making up for 28 years of zero beets. Dustin has even made a few comments about the beet kick I’ve been on lately. Another beet recipe? I have 28 years to make up for. Bring on the beets.
One of my favorite ways to prepare beets is roasting a handful and adding to smoothies. A few minutes of prep work on a Sunday, roasting beets, guarantees I have beets to toss in smoothies for quick breakfasts and snacks all week long.
Today, I am sharing my favorite beet smoothie. A delicious blend of strawberries and beets with the probiotic goodness of yogurt.
- ½ cup roasted beets (see instructions)
- 2 cups strawberries
- 1 cup plain whole milk yogurt (homemade)
- 2 tablespoons raw honey
- 1 banana
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF.
- Trim the tops and tails off the beets and cut in half. Place on a large sheet of foil. I usually roast three large beets for the week.
- Drizzle beets with olive oil and cover with the remaining foil.
- Bake for about an hour or until beets are soft when pierced with a fork. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Once cool, peel off the skins.
- In a storage bag combine beets and ½ cup orange juice. Store marinated beets in the fridge for up to a week.
- Place all ingredients in a blender.
- Blend until smooth.
More Smoothie Recipes You May Like:
PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog.