Contributor post written by Renee from Raising Generation Nourished
Lemonade and warmer weather just go hand in hand, don’t they?
Sometimes I forget to put my weekly summer popsicles into the freezer, and when the girls want something cool on a warm day, lemonade is a little quicker to whip up than waiting for a popsicle to freeze.
Can I honestly admit that years ago, I had no clue that you could make lemonade “from scratch?” The little frozen cans that you stir into water was what I considered lemonade, but if you take a peek at ingredient labels it isn’t as innocent as you would think simple lemonade should be.
I’m not a big fan of serving high fructose corn syrup and fake lemon flavor to my kids if I can help it – and as it turns out…you really can make real lemonade with real ingredients without a lot of fuss! Because really, I am all about simple these days! Toddlers and kindergarteners are complicated enough!
Lemonade is a staple at our household birthday parties because I have 2 spring babies and a summer baby! It’s fun to have something special to drink at a party, and lemonade is so good with strawberry cake and chocolate cake.
- 11 cups water
- 6 lemons, juiced (a hand-held juicer is very helpful)
- ½ cup raw honey (local, if possible)- a lighter tasting honey is best
- Warm the water and lemon juice in a pot – no need to bring to a boil or even a simmer – just warm so the honey can melt/dissolve.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the raw honey until it dissolves.
- Put the lemonade in the fridge to cool (or pour it over ice) – I like the spoon off the pulp that settles to the top once it cools. You won’t need to shake or stir it if you do it this way. There will still be a little pulp in the lemonade so if you think your kids will fuss about that just use a strainer to grab all of it.
- Store in the fridge.
More Real Food You May Like:
PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog.