One of the greatest joys of my real food journey has been the discovery that many “complicated” store-bought foods are super easy to make at home. Not only can I easily ditch many of the store products I once bought, 99.9% of the time the homemade versions taste so much better. This discovery has been incredibly empowering for my family and our real food lifestyle choice!
It’s because of this empowerment that I believe so strongly in sharing my family’s story. It just takes one little change, a simple salad dressing recipe or even a homemade surface cleaner, for the “Aha” moment to strike. The ” I can do this!” mentality sinks in, and it feels so good…empowering! Small, empowered changes that over time lead to a doable lifestyle. That, my friend, is what simple real food and natural living are all about.
Today, let’s continue to make simple changes by taking back the salad dressing shelf. We’ve already conquered some of our favorite classics in the 10 Salad Dressings to Stop Buying and Start Making. Have you tried the Ranch or Olive Garden copy-cat dressings? So good! After publishing that list so many of you asked for a simple blue cheese dressing. Good choice! I knew we were friends for a reason.
Creamy blue cheese is a favorite salad dressing in our house, and one I continued to buy for many years until I realized the simplicity of a homemade version. Homemade blue cheese dressing is made with just four wholesome ingredients and only requires five minutes (or less) of hands-on time. My homemade version is a simple combination: mayonnaise, sour cream, blue cheese, and a touch of lemon juice. That’s it, easy peasy!
Let’s get right to it. I know your taste-buds are waiting.
Four ingredients. Five minutes of time. Real food empowerment.
Homemade 4-Ingredient Blue Cheese Dressing
- 1/3 cup blue cheese crumbles
- 3 TB sour cream yogurt also works if you don't have sour cream on hand
- 2 TB mayonnaise homemade or quality store-bought
- 1/2 TB lemon juice
- salt and pepper, optional
- 1-2 TB bacon pieces optional
- In a medium-size bowl, add the blue cheese crumbles, sour cream, mayonnaise, and lemon juice. Using an immersion blender (or a fork for a chunkier blue cheese), blend the ingredients until you reach the desired consistency. I usually blend for 10-15 seconds. If desired, add bacon crumbles to the dressing after blending the ingredients.