Envision a morning without any dirty dishes. Today’s recipe will help this dream become a weekday reality. Really, no false claims here, just creamy little mason jars filled with a healthy make-ahead breakfast the whole family will love. Ready to transform 8am?
Mornings, as you know, are not my favorite time of day. As soon as I wake up my brain and body transition from a peaceful state of rest to the busy day ahead. Chickens need to be fed, children wake up with hungry bellies, Dustin needs clean clothes…now, emails wait to be answered, and the list could go on. One of my goals this year is to streamline my mornings into bite-sized priorities so I can tackle more tasks without actually doing more work.
Breakfast is one area I’ve been finding practical ways to apply my “more, but not more” strategy. For example: A hearty breakfast is a must in our house, but weekday mornings aren’t ideal for a time-intensive hearty breakfast. The answer? Make-ahead breakfast meals. Over the course of this year, I’ve added a number of make-ahead breakfast recipes to my meal plan rotation: breakfast cookies, egg burritos, egg and cheese biscuits, mini quiche, freezer pancakes, smoothie packs, and yogurt parfaits.
Today, I want to share one more super easy make-ahead breakfast recipe with you. Hint hint: The dream is coming true…remember the first paragraph in this post?
Now, I’ll admit, this isn’t Dustin’s favorite breakfast. He’s much more of a warm breakfast kind of guy, but that doesn’t mean these parfaits are not “man-approved” or utterly-delicious. He still enjoys a creamy fruit-filled parfait, but a cold breakfast must be balanced with a few mornings of bacon and eggs.
While Dustin is okay with make-ahead parfaits, this recipe is my absolute favorite easy breakfast. It’s filling, but not heavy. And yogurt parfaits require absolutely zero reheating, just grab and go! In other words, not one single dish is required when yogurt parfaits are on the morning menu. Well, except the cute mason jars.
With a few minutes of prep on the weekend, a healthy grab-and-go yogurt parfait will delight your mornings. I know from experience! A dream come true.
Make-Ahead Yogurt Parfaits
Nutty Coconut Topping
- 1/2 cup unsalted raw shelled pistachios any nut or seed will work
- 2 TB shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1 TB honey
- pinch salt
Yogurt and Fruit Filling
- 1 1/2 cups plain whole milk yogurt or Greek yogurt*
- 1/2 cup coconut cream (I purchase the small cans of coconut cream for this recipe but you can also skim the coconut cream from the top of canned coconut milk and reserve the remaining "milk" for another purpose.)
- 2 TB honey
- 1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups fresh fruit whole blueberries, diced mangos, diced strawberries, whole raspberries, whole or halved blackberries- pick one or a combo
- jars 4 or 8 oz jars work best
- Grease a large skillet with oil (coconut or olive oil works well). Heat the skillet over medium heat until warm. Add the nuts, coconut, and salt. Toast the nuts and coconut for 3-4 minutes, stirring frequently, just until the coconut is golden. Add the honey and stir. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove the skillet from the heat and allow the mixture to fully cool.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the yogurt, coconut cream, vanilla extract, and honey.
- Place a few tablespoons of fruit in the bottom of each mason jar (I use 8-ounce jars). Top the fruit with yogurt filling, and then more fruit. Add the cool nut topping to the top of each jar.
- Secure the lid on each jar and store in the fridge. Yogurt parfaits will keep in the fridge for 3-5 days, depending on the fruit.
*For thick parfaits, use Greek yogurt or strain regular whole milk through a cheesecloth to remove the whey (liquid that separates from the yogurt). The coconut cream also helps thicken this recipe as it rests in the fridge.
More Real Food You May Like:
One-Bowl Carrot Cake Breakfast Cookies