Did you know it’s possible to make a healthy, cheap, and ready-to-eat breakfast with just 3 ingredients? Banana, peanut butter, and bread are a match made in breakfast heaven and can be made over 6 different ways! Enjoy this peanut butter banana toast on its own or with scrambled eggs, sunny side up eggs, an omelette, or healthy yogurt bowls.
What Makes This Toast so Good?
This healthy breakfast is one of the easiest meals you could ever make, and it’s so incredibly delicious. In real life, I eat this toast multiple times a week with scrambled eggs. When I’m not enjoying peanut butter banana toast, avocado toast with an egg on top is my second favorite.
- Healthy Fats and Carbs: Peanut butter is a fantastic healthy fat source and bananas are a complex carb. And when you top the two ingredients on sourdough bread, talk about a nourishing breakfast, lunch, or snack. (I also use sourdough bread to make nourishing French toast in the morning.)
- Cheap, Nutrient-Dense Meal: Creamy peanut butter, bananas, and bread (even sourdough bread, which nutritionally is preferred) are some of the cheapest real-food ingredients. And when you combine them, you get a powerhouse breakfast that tastes like a delicious treat.
- Easy and Quick: You only need 3 minutes to make this meal: 1 minute to toast the bread, 1 minute to cut the banana, and 1 minute to assemble the toast.
- Kid-Friendly: Not only do my kids love this breakfast toast, they also easily make it themselves. Win-Win! Instead of reaching for processed chips or cereal, teach your kids how to toast bread, cut a banana (this can even be done with a butter knife), and spoon peanut butter on the bread.
- 1 slice of bread: sourdough bread, sprouted bread, cinnamon-raisin bread, gluten-free bread, einkorn sandwich bread, whole grain bread or whole wheat bread (your favorite)
- 1 -2 Tablespoons creamy or crunchy peanut butter
- 1/2 medium banana, sliced
- (optional) pinch of salt like sea salt or Redmond Real Salt (a mineral-rich salt)
Natural Peanut Butter Tip: Use peanut butter that contains just peanuts and salt (or just peanuts). In order to find this, flip over the jar and read the ingredient list. Avoid peanut butter with added oils and sugar.
How to Make
Step 1: Toast the Bread
Toast the bread to your liking in a toaster. I like a crispier toast that’s more golden brown as I love a crunchy base with the soft peanut butter and bananas.
Step 2: Add Peanut Butter and Banana
Slice 1/2 a banana (or a full banana if you want lots of banana on your toast). Spread 1-2 tablespoons of peanut butter over the warm toast. Then top with banana slices. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt. The touch of salt brings out the sweetness of the bananas.
Top with any additional toppings (listed below): cinnamon, coconut flakes, chia seeds, flax seeds, granola, or honey.
6 Delicious Ways to Make Peanut Butter Banana Toast
Sprinkle cinnamon over the top of the banana slices, after assembling the toast. I recommend adding a pinch of salt as well. The sweet bananas and cinnamon pair perfectly with the touch of salt and enhances all the amazing flavors!
Drizzle honey over the top of the sliced bananas, after assembling the toast. I recommend adding a pinch of salt for a sweet and salty balance.
3. Coconut Flakes
Add a tropical flair with shredded or flaked unsweetened coconut. Sprinkle the coconut over the top of the bananas, after assembling the toast.
4. Chia Seeds
Chia seeds are a great source of fiber and healthy fat and they add a delicious crunch to the toast. Sprinkle the chia seeds over the sliced banana, after assembling the toast.
5. Flax Seeds or Hemp Hearts
Flax seeds are a great source of healthy fat and fiber. Hemp hearts are a delicious way to add plant-based protein. Sprinkle the flax seeds or hemp hearts over the top of the sliced banana, after assembling the toast.
For extra crunch, sprinkle your favorite granola over the top of the sliced bananas after assembling. I love to use my homemade granola recipe which I keep stocked in my freezer for an easy breakfast or snack (also great on healthy yogurt bowls).
1. Baked Sweet Potato Instead of Bread
Roast up a tray of the best and quickest baked sweet potatoes then place them in the fridge to enjoy all week for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. Pull one sweet potato from the fridge, reheat in the microwave or oven, and then top with peanut butter and sliced bananas. Add cinnamon, coconut flakes, chia seeds, or honey (if desired). This is one of my favorite ways to enjoy a sweet potato and a great breakfast paired with easy recipes like eggs (and there are so many different egg styles to cook).
2. Use a Different Seed or Nut Butter
Instead of peanut butter, use your favorite nut or seed butter: sunflower butter, almond butter, cashew butter, hazelnut butter, etc.
What to Serve With This Toast
This recipe is great any time of the day, but it’s particularly delicious for a morning toast served with breakfast items. The banana, peanut butter, and bread pair particularly well with a protein-rich breakfast side. Here are a few of my favorite quick and easy, protein-rich egg recipes to serve with this toast.
- Fluffy Scrambled Eggs: Take less than 5 minutes to make and cook. A great side to make while the toast cooks.
- Make-Ahead Omelet Cups: If mornings are super busy for you, make egg omelet cups (baked in a muffin pan) on the weekend and serve cold, at room temperature, or reheat in the toaster oven or microwave. Then serve with the toast.
- Classic Cheese Omelette: Sounds fancy, but oh so easy!
- Feta and Spinach Omelette: A great way to get greens into your morning meal.
- Frittata: Make this recipe in advance, slice it up, and serve as a quick and easy breakfast all week alongside the toast.
- Breakfast Egg Casserole: Make this casserole on Sunday, enjoy a few slices, then place the rest in the fridge for a fast protein breakfast to serve with the toast.
- Protein Overnight Oats: Make the oats with frozen fruit, high protein oatmeal, or make tropical overnight oats with coconut milk.
- Yogurt Bowl: Choose a fruit and granola yogurt bowl or serve the toast with my favorite chocolate protein yogurt.
Lunch Idea: This is also a great toast to serve for lunch, particularly when the kids are home. Serve the toast alongside rolled up turkey or ham for a quick and healthy lunch. Even better, teach the kids how to make their own toast!
Find easy and healthy breakfast ideas, from the fluffy scrambled eggs to einkorn muffins and overnight oats, in my breakfast section of the blog.
Perfect Peanut Butter Banana Toast
Optional Toppings (Optional):
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 Tablespoons unsweetened coconut flakes or shredded coconut
- 1 teaspoon chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon flax seeds or hemp seeds
- 1/4 cup granola like this homemade granola
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- Toast the bread to your liking in a toaster.
- Slice 1/2 a banana (or a full banana if you want lots of banana on your toast). Spread 1-2 tablespoons of peanut butter over the warm toast. Then top with banana slices. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt.
- (Optional) Top with any additional toppings (listed above): cinnamon, coconut flakes, chia seeds, flax seeds, granola, or honey.
- For a bread-free variation, top the peanut butter on a baked sweet potato and top with banana slices and any other toppings.
- Instead of peanut butter, try different nut butters: almond butter, hazelnut butter, cashew butter. Or, go nut-free with sunflower seed butter.
Take the Guess Work OUt of meal planning
Free 64 Rotational Meals Ideas Cheat Sheet
Breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snack recipes to rotate week after week. Put healthy meals on auto-pilot.
meal plan solution
Family Survival Weekly Meal Plan
The Family Survival Meal Plan is the fast-track way to put real-food meals on autopilot and break out of mealtime survival with the easy-to-follow meal plan, time-saving food prep and cooking methods, and the real-food recipe book that make nourishing your family one less thing to stress about.
My favorite weekday breakfast! SO easy with scrambled eggs and fills me up. And the whole family loves this toast. Let me know what you think and if you add any toppings!